Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Baptism

 One of the little obstacles to our conversion was my not knowing how I was Baptised. When we spoke with Father Stephan the other day, this was a main topic, because he cannot re-Baptise me knowingly any more than he can Chrismate me knowing I'm not Baptised.

That day we spoke, I knew only that I had been Baptised by full immersion in a huge revival type church in Arkansas. I did not remember the form of the Baptism, just the giant Baptismal fountain.  Since then I have spoken with my father, and now I know that I was not Baptised in the name of the Trinity. The church was not a Trinitarian church but a Jesus' Name congregation.

So I am not Baptised. This means that it is likely I will be Baptised with the 3 younger children on the day we are Chrismated. Karl and Tristan were Baptised properly, so they will skip that part. As my friend Phoebe put it, I had better find a good way to style my hair for the Baptism, because I am going to be married afterwards! Actually, in all seriousness, I can't think of anything better than getting married in a white robe with wet hair.
Wedding at Cana

7 comments:

  1. That is going to be beautiful. Since I was raised Catholic, I had a valid baptism, but I've had several friends recently who were baptised at the same time as their chrismation. The service is just beautiful with a baptism. Our little guy will be baptised in just a few weeks and I am really looking forward to it.

    By the way, I gave you an award on my blog :) I hope it brings you more readers (I really enjoy reading your blog) and that you meet some of the wonderful Orthodox ladies I've met online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tabitha! It's nice to meet you. I came over from Michelle's blog after she tagged you today. Congrats!

    Word of advice: pull your hair back for the baptism because if your priest does the "prostration" style baptism rather than the "backwards" style, your hair will instantly suck right onto your face as you emerge and you won't be able to breathe. (Yes, I know this from experience...)

    And there's nothing wrong with being married in a white robe with wet hair and barefoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christ is risen!

    Look: www.stjenichanka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed He is Risen. Thank you for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matushka Anna, nice to meet you! Great advice. I have rather long, heavy hair. I am excited for the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Michelle, thank you for the award. How nice to meet all these mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tabitha! I found your blog via Michelle. A french braid might work well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...