Thursday, May 12, 2011

Simple Guides: religion: The Orthodox Church

Simple Guides The Orthodox ChurchI read this book yesterday while I was sick in bed. I was very grateful for the travel guide language. Perhaps it was my fevered state, but I suspect the author is a great writer, and her challenge more than anything was to be so concise. If so, she rose to it with success. This book is accessible to all, even the flu-ridden.

I learned a lot! Remember that I was raised in a 'Washed in the Blood" Baptist church where nothing mattered but John 3:16. For instance, I did not know how the Church began, how the Holy Spirit descended up on the Apostles (Pentecost). In that vein, this book explained really clearly to me why the Eastern Orthodox Church has no leader.

I also learned about early Christian persecution, the Seven Ecumenical Councils, Constantine and Helen. Baptist upbringing, at least in rural Missouri, is not long on historical learning. Of course it is no one's fault but my own that I did not educate myself, but it was discouraged at the time.

Also handy in this book are the Easter/ feast charts. A great book for answering little questions too trivial to be in books like The Orthodox Way, it also contains a lot of spiritual understanding. For just under $9, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...