Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bibles

I recently purchased The Orthodox Study Bible as a kindle book. I am disappointed. Not in the Bible- in the format. The Bible, it turns out, is not the kind of thing you want to have to wade through to find a page. You want to be able to flip to a book, back and forth to find the chapter and verse as needed. With the kindle edition, you have to tab down (no touch screen) to the testament, the book, the chapter and the verse, then escape back to find a new verse. Unless reading the Bible cover to cover, the kindle edition leaves a lot to be desired.

I am considering buying the paper edition of this Bible, but I am not sure. It calls itself The Orthodox Study Bible, but is it a good choice? We have a Bible already, from Karl's Lutheran family, it is an NIV. 

Ages of Grace asks for The Orthodox Study Bible, so this is part of my thinking. I hope to ask my priest and others at our church soon.

4 comments:

  1. Personally, I really like the Orthodox Study Bible. It was given to me as a gift and I'm slowly wearing it out. The OT is a translation of the Septuagint- that's VERY different from the NIV. I'm sure you've noticed that there are many more books in the OT. The NT is the NKJV translation which isn't a bad translation at all. THere are a lot of nice helps in the Bible like the commentary, articles on how to read the Bible and all that jazz. Its a great Bible. I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use the Orthodox Study Bible as well. We bought it when we were catecumen. I like the translation a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it too; except for how they made Isaiah more into prose than poetry lines. (I am very visual in this way, not a comment on the actual translation). I have had one for a few years and it is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your insight. I suppose I will own both the kindle and paper editions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...