Friday, July 22, 2011

Curious

Tikhon finished his book, The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios, and now we have taken down any art we have that is commonly associated with any other religion.

We've always been the live and let live sort, and I think we still are. We had this large brass ganesha, a buddha, and a little shiva, some prayer flags, etc. None of these things have ever meant anything to us beyond their surface appeal. We use the brasses as bookends because they are heavy.

I know the story of ganesha, in fact I know many of the Hindu stories. I took a religions course. I enjoyed the stories as fairy tales. Why, then, would these things all need to go as if suddenly we thought they had meaning? Tikhon read the book and I have not (yet), but I agreed with him when he suggested we remove these items from our home. They have no meaning to us, but they have a great deal of meaning to others. Everything we show others is part of how they see us. We of course have limited control over the perceptions that other people make, and even less responsibility for those perceptions, but this blatant misinformation displayed around our home did no one any good. I do not need those things to have beauty in my life. I do not wish to be associated with them so personally.

I look forward to reading the book and seeing in it what Tikhon did.


The Transposed Heads, one of the stories we studied in that religion course. 


1 comment:

  1. walking here with a smile.. have a nice day ~ =D

    Regards,
    http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...