Monday, February 13, 2012

Martin's Cross

Our family was host to a respiratory illness this weekend, but I made progress on the first Baptismal gown.

Last time I updated I had abandoned the thought of silk-bias neck lines. This installment must confess another deviation from the plan: I am not using grosgrain ribbon for the crosses. I will save my lovely, impossible silk grosgrain for another project. As you can see below, I decided to make the cross in needle-turn applique.


Again, the 100% linen is a joy to work with. This is my first attempt at needle-turn and I am pleased with it. The cross will be the same size on each gown, so Martin's is very large on his back. 


In the above photo I am nearly finished. I love the subtle white cross on white background. The doing of this applique was quite fun so I know I can repeat it again and again. 

Here I don't have pictures, but after the cross was finished I put the gussets in the arms and sewed the arms to the body with machine flat-felled seams. Then, my machine broke. It is so heavily computerised and automated that I don't know what the problem is, but the bobbin tension is all wrong and I can't sew a stitch. Luckily, while I take it in to be serviced I have plenty of handwork to do on the next few gowns. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...