Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Liturgy of Presanctified Gifts

We were blessed yesterday to go to the Liturgy as a whole family. Tikhon took the morning off of work and drove us. Father told us in advance about the Litany for Catechumens, similar to every Liturgy but with special prayers for us as we prepare for illumination. Then Deacon asked us to leave and we left.

 And here I speak of fasting. We have all be fighting a respiratory illness of some kind, so I am unsure if my first experience with the physical effects of the fast is sound. Yesterday by noon I could have been knocked over with a feather.

 Poor, weak me. To think I have lived 31 years and never been without food. Even though I have lived in poverty, I have never been truly hungry. Where I grew up, anyone could throw a handful of turnip seeds in the ground and have dinner all fall and winter. Turnips boiled with a single piece of bacon. There was never a shortage of food. There was venison, turnips, and if all else failed, kind neighbors with food to share.

 Breaking the fast. It is silly to say the potluck we shared was the best food I have ever tasted, but it is true. I was a little worried I might get sick eating too much. I didn't. I felt full all day and human again. I still feel content physically, and I am writing this the morning after.

 There was a reading during our meal that I very much enjoyed. It was from Ivan Shmelyov's Anno Domini, and excerpt called Clean Monday, and you can read it here: http://www.roca.org/OA/47/47g.htm

We did not make it back for the third part for the Great Canon. As much as I wanted to, we all needed rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...